Choosing Grain Free Dog Food
Grains aren’t bad for dogs in general, though they can be bad for certain individual dogs. When your dog cannot digest or tolerate grains very much (diarrhea, bloating, gas production), consider switching to a grain free dog food. The alternative is trying different dog food brands (with different grains) or a raw meat diet.
No grain dog food has alternative sources for carbohydrates, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes or tapioca. Potatoes contain highly digestible proteins. Also, potatoes have high concentrations of essential amino acids such as lysine (required to synthesize all required proteins in the body) and methionine.
Some required legal talk
Below you'll find some suggestions for related products (often dog food ;-)). These may be affiliate links. In case these are Amazon links you can view the information even without clicking. Here's how that works...
When you see a product of interest, you can hover over it to view more information about the actual price etc befóre clicking. Should you click on such a link AND buy online, I may receive a small commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Your price will, of course, stay exactly the same.
Choosing The Best No Grain Dog Food
You probably already know that I’m not going to give you a top 10 best grain free dog foods since the best dog food differs per individual dog.
You can follow the shortlist below as a guide to find the best one to start your feeding trial with (remember the guidelines for switching dog food and use the 10 steps dog health checklist and your own eyes).
1. Read the ingredients on the label and compare these to any known allergies or intolerances your dog has (if already identified).
2. Determine the main ingredients (anything before the first source of fat listed).
3. Evaluate the quality of the main ingredients (look for specifically named meats and specifically named fats).
4. Think twice when choosing a dog with that has a grain as the first ingredient. Your dog may do well on it, but perhaps he’ll do better on a dog food that has meat listed first. We’re looking for the best dog food and that must have protein sources that have the whole spectrum of essential amino acids and superb digestibility.
5. Fill out the 10 steps dog health checklist and start your feeding trial (for at least 4 weeks, unless your dog’s symptoms worsen).
PS Consult your veterinarian when making changes to your dog’s diet.
Dog Food Recipes
[Ad] This link will take you to a video that will leave you with one thought... "I have to find out what's the best dog food and choose quality for my furry companion". Your dog's health, happiness, and lifespan depend on it.
Below the video, you'll also find a dog food recipe (the bigger version of the one to the left and it looks delicious). So don't wait and click here to go to the "Dog Food Secrets page".
What else is on the menu?
Handpicked related content:
- Do you suspect your dog is allergic to grains in his food?
- Back to nature with evolutionary dog food.
- Grains in dog food.
- Functions of carbohydrates in the canine menu.
- Tapioca – a novel starch source in dog food.
- Role of carbohydrates in energy and motion.